[lbo-talk] Law Student With a History of Taking Left Turns

Willy Greenfields filthydirtyunwashed at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 18 14:39:37 PDT 2003

> I would have thought that no U.S. support for Lon
> Nol would have
> meant that the Khmer Rouge would have taken over
> more quickly, no?
> Once Sihanouk threw his support to the Khmer Rouge,
> avoiding their
> genocide would have required keeping Lon Nol in
> power...

...if one confines ones analysis to elites. But without a radicalized and infuriated peasantry, would the KR have enjoyed much popular support? Weren't they a (small) bunch of essential nobodies in a remote northeastern province at the start of the bombing?

Not (strictly) to be a prick, I also recall the US doing everything possible to undermine Sihanouk's attempts to position Cambodia as a non-aligned country.