[lbo-talk] I don't get it..

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Jul 18 19:59:39 PDT 2003

> Dennis Perrin wrote:
> >
> > I always liked Chomsky's take, which I think is pretty accurate:
> > The Cuban Missile Crisis established the right of the US to
> > place nukes on the border of any enemy, as it did in Turkey,
> > aimed at the SU, but no one else had that right, esp the SU.
> > And JFK was willing to risk nuclear war to enforce this.
>
> Did Chomsky actually say that? Only a couple months after the blockade
> we'd pulled all our nuclear-armed Jupiter IRBMs out of Turkey; that was
> the deal Kennedy made with Khrushchev at the height of the Crisis.

> Yours WDK - WKiernan at concentric.net

Years ago I caught Chomsky saying this on a docu about the Crisis. Ran on PBS and had some mainstream chat-heads, so I was surprised to see Chomsky there.

As for the Turkish angle, I found this --

<http://archive.abcnews.go.com/sections/world/cubaturkey1016/>

-- which is breezy but compelling. Still, I'd like to learn more about the backdrop.

DP