[lbo-talk] Law Student With a History of Taking Left Turns

Bryan Atinsky bryan at indymedia.org.il
Sat Jul 19 10:18:30 PDT 2003

Dennis,

There seems to be an all too common tendency among the 'left' to fall into the formulation of an highly uncritical binary schema of the Palestinian/Israeli conflict.

One which is dangerous in its deceptive simplicity and which doesn't see that the answer isn't in deciding this or that, but neither this nor that (I am aware that this tendency is common to all ideological stands. The right would merely switch around the negitive and positive definitions):

Zionist Nationalism Bad/ Palestinian Nationalism Good (http://indymedia.org.il/imc/webcast/61393.html) (http://indymedia.org.il/imc/webcast/61241.html)

Jews are an artificial people/ Palestinians are a natural people (http://indymedia.org.il/imc/webcast/61045.html)

Zionists destroy environment/Palestinians nuture the environment

Reject Jewish Nationalism / accept Islamic Nationalism

Israel as a class society/ Palestine as a classless society

There are many more of these binaries...

I believe that at the same time that we critique Zionist ideology and protest the actions of the Israeli government/military/police forces, we need to also recognize and critique the history and present existence of class conflict, environmental degredation, gender oppression, religious nationalist tendencies, etc. within Palestinian society (and further to recognize that these tendencies are not merely the effect of Israeli occupation but formations internal to the society itself) .

In fact, it seems that both the Israelis and Palestinians themselves feed off of each other with these mirrored oppositions that work to exteriorize and deflect critique of the problems inherent in their own socieites.

Both Israeli and Palestinian society, as they exist, need to be rejected and surpassed for something that is neither this nor that.

Forward looking, not looking to an idealized history or present.

Otherwise, we are not really approching the problem in a realistic manner that has any chance of leading towards a more beneficial future.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Perrin" <dperrin at comcast.net>