[lbo-talk] In Support of the NOAC's Call for a Unified Anti-War Action in the Fall

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jul 19 10:48:40 PDT 2003

I sent the following joint statement to the United for Peace and Justice Steering Committee & Staff (<http://www.unitedforpeace.org/>) & International ANSWER organizers (<http://www.internationalanswer.org/>), in support of the Northeast Ohio Anti-War Coalition's call for a Unified Anti-War Action in the Fall. Please encourage organizations in which you are involved to issue a public statement in support of the NOAC's call and send it to the UFPJ SC & Staff and ANSWER organizers.

Dear Northeast Ohio Anti-War Coalition organizers, the UFPJ Steering Committee and Staff, & International ANSWER organizers:

At 7:56 AM -0400 7/19/03, Diane S Schurr wrote:
>Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 07:56:02 -0400
>From: Diane S Schurr <carolandiane at juno.com>
>Subject: [ufpj-disc] Follow up on the call for a Unified Anti-War
>action in the Fall
>To: ufpj-disc at yahoogroups.com
>
>Greetings:
>
>We in NOAC appreciate your posting on the UFPJ list serve NOAC's
>"Call for Unity of the U.S. Anti-War Movement." We also appreciate
>the action taken earlier by UFPJ at your June conference
>establishing a liaison committee to work with other peace groups to
>promote unity and cooperation in the movement.
>
>We are writing you now to urge that you accept ANSWER's invitation
>to cosponsor the October 25 demonstration as stated in their
>communication to you: "We would propose that there be an equal
>sharing of responsibility for logistics and mobilization and for the
>creation of the program on the day of the demonstration."
>
>It seems to us that in the face of the brutal and repressive U.S.
>occupation of Iraq, we all have a responsibility to the people
>there, to the GIs who want to come home, and to the international
>anti-war movement to unite all forces for the largest possible
>turnout on October 25 to demand an end to the occupation and for
>U.S. troops to be brought home now. All other factors are,
>relatively speaking, subordinate to this overriding responsibility.
>
>NOAC has endorsed the October 25 action and is working hard to build
>it. As you know, a delegate from our coalition attended the UFPJ
>conference in June to urge unity for a fall demonstration. We renew
>that appeal now in relation to the planned October 25 demonstration.
>
>The movement throughout the world, which seeks to curb U.S. colonial
>and expansionist plans, will warmly welcome the united sponsorship
>of both major coalitions for October 25. If unity fails, people who
>are the victims of those colonial and expansionist plans, especially
>the Iraqis, will not understand why.
>
>We hope that you will poll the UFPJ steering committee expeditiously
>for approval of the unity proposal. The sooner the two coalitions
>come together on a coequal basis to plan and organize October 25,
>the better for both and for the cause of peace on a worldwide basis.
>
>In solidarity,
>
>Northeast Ohio Anti-War Coalition (NOAC)
>
>cc: ANSWER
> USLAW

For Mother Earth (North-American Coordination Team) and the Student International Forum at the Ohio State University support the Northeast Ohio Anti-War Coalition's call for a unified action on October 25, 2003 and seek United for Peace and Justice's prompt endorsement of it.

The Student International Forum will hold an educational event highlighting Palestinian refugees' plight and the refugees' Right of Return on Thursday, September 25, 2003, in solidarity with the Al-Awda/ANSWER/UK Stop the War Coalition's International Days of Action against the Occupation and Empire, and join the October 25, 2003 action to Bring the Troops Home Now & End the Occupation of Iraq. The Ohio State University's Committee for Justice in Palestine will hold an action against the Israeli occupation on Friday, September 26, 2003, to be part of the Al-Awda/ANSWER/UK Stop the War Coalition's International Days of Action, and join the October 25, 2003 action.

On July 19, 20, & 21, Solidarity (Columbus), the Central Ohio Peace Network (of which Columbus Campaign for Arms Control is a part), and the Central Ohioans for Peace will have their respective meetings, and we will work to encourage them to officially support the Northeast Ohio Anti-War Coalition's call for a unified action and endorse the October 25, 2003 action.

We ask all organizers and activists to do the same. Let's work to overcome our respective weaknesses, gather all our strengths, unite all who can be united, and remobilize our communities for joint actions.

Yoshie Furuhashi, Columbus Campaign for Arms Control/Committee for Justice in Palestine/Solidarity/Student International Forum Mark D. Stansbery, For Mother Earth/Columbus Campaign for Arms Control/The Community Organizing Center <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>, <walk at igc.org>, 614-252-9255

* Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://solidarity.igc.org/>