[lbo-talk] Law Student With a History of Taking Left Turns

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Sat Jul 19 18:48:41 PDT 2003

>On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 17:47:38 -0700, Brad DeLong
><delong at econ.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
>>Are you saying that you think that Ho Chi Minh was better than
>>Nguyen Van Thieu, that Mao Zedong was better than Chang Kaishek,
>>and that Kim Il Sung was better than Syngman Rhee?
>
>I don't mean to get pedantic here, but you may wish to phrase your
>question in another manner.
>
>Are you asking this as a compound question, or as three distinct
>issues which have three different answers? For example, if you are
>asking if someone believes that Ho Chi Minh was better than Nguyen
>Van Thieu _and_ that Mao Zedong was better than Chang Kaishek _and_
>that Kim Il Sung was better than Syngman Rhee, I don't think you're
>going to get much of an answer.

In all three pairs, the first members are charismatic dictators who believed in the abolition of markets, the collectivization of agriculture, and the centralization of an enormous amount of power in the hands of the states. In all three pairs, the second members are corrupt comprador politicians of one sort or another. Answers tend to go together.

To believe that the answers to these three questions are uncorrelated is to demonstrate a truly striking ignorance about twentieth-century Asian politics. I urge you to learn some history quickly.

The only place where I see any split possible is in the case of Ho Chi Minh. Mao Zedong and Kim Il Sung appear to have been totally insane, while we have no similar evidence for Ho Chi Minh's psychological instability.

Brad DeLong