[lbo-talk] I don't get it..

Brad DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 18 14:36:29 PDT 2003

> > How would you explain the US posture during Cuban missile crisis?
>>
>> Ulhas
>
>I always liked Chomsky's take, which I think is pretty accurate: The Cuban
>Missile Crisis established the right of the US to place nukes on the border
>of any enemy, as it did in Turkey, aimed at the SU, but no one else had that
>right, esp the SU. And JFK was willing to risk nuclear war to enforce this.
>
>DP

But the deal was that (a) Khrushchev would take the missiles out of Cuba, (b) Kennedy would--a bit later--take the missiles out of Turkey, and (c) in order to help Kennedy with his domestic political situation, nobody would claim that this was a deal.

Of course, it turned out that it was Khrushchev rather than Kennedy-Johnson who needed help staying in power beyond 1964...

Brad DeLong