[lbo-talk] Re: Law Student With a History of Taking Left Turns

Thiago Oppermann thiago_oppermann at bigpond.com
Mon Jul 21 08:52:14 PDT 2003

On 22/7/2003 1:30 AM, "lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org" <lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org> wrote:

> Ho Chi Minh is different: a Communist-Nationalist leader fighting foreign
> European colonialists and neocolonialists. But I've never seen anyone
> seriously argue that Ho was not a convinced Communist--a believer in total
> state control, collectivized agriculture, and lots of other very bad things.
>

> Brad DeLong
> ---
> Only a Berkeley liberal economist would place collectivized agriculture on
> the same evil level as total state control.

Hmm, call me Plekhanov or Wittfogel, but isn't collectivized agriculture a precipitant of evil total state control? Is there any example of agricultural collectivization without huge nasty bureaucracies?

I don't suppose it must necessarily be so, but the statist commitments of the collectivizers definitely finds me in Brad's camp on this one, delusional as his ideas about 'defending South Vietnam' are.

Thiago