[lbo-talk] Re: Law Student With a History of Taking Left Turns

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Jul 21 11:49:12 PDT 2003

>Thiago Oppermann wrote:
>
>>Hmm, call me Plekhanov or Wittfogel, but isn't collectivized agriculture a
>>precipitant of evil total state control? Is there any example of
>>agricultural collectivization without huge nasty bureaucracies?
>>
>>I don't suppose it must necessarily be so, but the statist commitments of
>>the collectivizers definitely finds me in Brad's camp on this one,
>>delusional as his ideas about 'defending South Vietnam' are.
>>
>I'd like to point out three things. The first is that the main
>danger of agricultural collectivization comes from the tendency of
>such systems to create "monocultures" of crops

No. The main danger from agricultural collectivization comes from all the people who got shot during the process of reenserfment of the peasantry, and all the people who thereafter starve as production drops and required grain deliveries rise.

Do you know nothing about twentieth century history at all?

Brad DeLong