Benign/Nefarious (Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Law Student . . . .)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 22 09:04:52 PDT 2003

> >Yes. At Berkeley we have this strange idea that
> peasant-farmers are people,
> >and that what happens to them matters.
> >
> >Brad DeLong
>
> Cried any tears lately over the fate of the Russian
> peasantry post-1991?

No, they are unintended victims of Progress, regrettable, but Omlettes, Eggs, all that sort of thing. Same as the victims of Brad's ideal air war and comprador subfascist client armies in Vietnam and Korea would have been. These are what Chomsky calls Benign Massacres. The Ukraine, 1930-32, like the Democratic Kampuchea disaster, was a Nefarious Massacre. Therefore Brad can be puzzled by (and ignore the former sort, because it doesn't fit into his framework of outrage), i.e, the deaths due to Benign events, while feeling angry about Nefarious ones, and morally superior to those who point out the double standard, whom his equipment does not permit him to read as other than as apologetics for mass murder (Nefarious). Free markersa nd Western policies are NEVER systematically responsible for Nefarious events. That is an axiom. jks