[lbo-talk] celebs 4 Dean

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jul 22 10:51:42 PDT 2003

<http://abcnews.go.com/sections/politics/TheNote/TheNote.html>

Nothing fascinates a good political reporter more than an invitation to a fundraiser; the opportunities for anthropological work are endless.

So as we considered the August 3 morning fundraiser at the home of Diane English in Edgartown, Mass. ("Parking in this area is extremely limited. Please consider carpooling."), it was hard to know where to look most intently.

Rob Reiner, Steve Grossman, Mary Steenburgen, Ted Danson - all interesting, but SO part of the old Democratic Party (no offense, and none taken, we are sure).

But Kirsten Dunst and Jake Gyllenhaal!!! Two of the first big names from Young Hollywood to break for the Good Doctor, or anyone else for that matter.

Our bet would be: Trippi has heard of Dunst, but not Gyllenhaal.

-------

<http://www.nydailynews.com/business/story/102676p-92949c.html>

Jann Wenner showed how he leans by making $1,000 contributions to two Democratic presidential candidates, Sen. John Edwards and former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean.

But in publishing circles, Wenner is hardly alone on the liberal Dean's list.

Dean's new filing with the Federal Election Commission also includes such donors as novelist Stephen King and book publishers Ann Godoff,Larry Kirshbaum, Susan Kennedy, Michael Pietsch, William Shinker and Jonathan Galassi.

Aaron Sorkin, who writes about another former New England governor as president for TV's "The West Wing," also gave $1,000 to Dean, plus another grand to Rep. Dick Gephardt.