[lbo-talk] Bring Them Home Now: Leaflets & Website (from Stan Goff)

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Jul 22 11:53:26 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>
>[I'd bet, though, that Nathan won't be arguing for reparations to
>Iraqis once Iraqis free themselves from the foreign occupation,
>because any Iraqi government that will result from a successful Iraqi
>liberation movement that may emerge won't be to his liking.]

Umm-- if the government is "not to my liking" that probably means that the reparations would be going into swiss bank accounts rather than to the people of Iraq. If they money would be going to the people of Iraq to improve their lives, I support reparations.

Although a simpler demand for the left is to demand cancellation of all foreign debts owed by Iraq. No reason the people of Iraq should pay off debts owed to Western companies and countries that built the weapons that built up Hussein's power.

So I'll settle for two demand now: Democracy in Iraq! Cancel all Foreign Debt!

-- Nathan Newman