[lbo-talk] Re: Law Student With a History of Taking Left Turns

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 22 15:04:17 PDT 2003

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 21:16:17 -0500, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> I think that's public domain anyhow, not copyrighted by Stalin. I first
> heard it (not ascribed to Stalin) as One death is a tragedy, 10,000 a
> problem in public sanitation.

Who would have ever thought? Carrol has read Solzhenitsyn!

"The History of Our Sewage Disposal System, " pgs. 24-92, Vol. I of The Gulag Archipelago.

Koba, Mad, Chris?

I'll leave the clinical diagnosis to someone trained w/ a DSM handy. How about evil on a par w/ AH? Someone who could sign off on imprisoning the ten yr. old son of Kamenev, 4 yrs. after his Dad was assasinated. Who killed more leaders of the German and Polish Communist Party than AH? That, as military historian, a former editor of, Miltary-Historical Archives, General Pavlenko, JVS, killed more senior officers of the Red Army than AH. That as, General Todorsky, wrote in a Khruschev era report on the 30's Purge of the Red Army, of the 40K+ (Volkogonov in '88 said there were 43K killed), killed by JVS in the officer corps, that meant 3 out of 5 marshals, 15 out of 16 army commanders, 60 out of 67 corps commanders, and 136 out of 199 divisional commanders.

I get these from Laqueur 1990, so I can expect some kvetching, but, I note that in the acknowledgements, John Erickson, the military historian, mentioned here by John Mage, positively, to justin, reviewed the Laqueur ms. for matters military that he would have much greater expertise. Most of the book is based on Russian journals and newspapers from the late Gorby era.

-- Michael Pugliese