[lbo-talk] Credibility Canyon

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Jul 22 18:14:30 PDT 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Chuck0 wrote:
>
>> It's quite evident right now, just by reading the American corporate
>> press, that the Bush administration is in a serious crisis
>

> ...and it's not just Bush: even St Alan Greenspan is suffering an image
> collapse, with some pundits even claiming he's lost the confidence of
> the bond market. If only there were a "we" would could take proper
> advantage!

I think the primary reason why "we," loosely defined as the American left, aren't taking advantage of this is because there is this mindset that makes excuses for not acting. The conditions aren't right. The right-wing is too powerful. The Patriot Act will put us all in jail.

It's all bullshit. Then there is the liberal problem, exemplified by organizations like Move.on who have moved on from grassroots activism to

running ads for the Democratic Party. What a bunch of stupidity. Most Americans know that the Democrats are the same as the Republicans. That's why they don't vote. That's why the Republicans have gone all extreme, especially with all these books about the "evil of liberalism."

If the American left does nothing, then it can only blame itself for the gains the right wing makes in coming years. Personally, I'm not going to hold back, censor myself, or do anything differently than I was before 9-11. The Patriot Act stuff doesn't scare me, nor does the Bush regime. I'm going to keep doing provocative and agitational stuff until they throw my butt in jail.

To quote the president: "Bring 'em on."

Chuck0