[lbo-talk] Bring Them Home Now: Leaflets & Website (from Stan Goff)

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Tue Jul 22 19:38:10 PDT 2003

Jim Farmelant wrote:
> I would suspect that the decline of organizations like
> the CPUSA might have something to do with it. As
> Carrol Cox likes to say, to speak of a left (or at least
> of an organized left) in the US is a bit ludicrous.
> Such a thing hasn't existed here for quite some time.

Actually, I think Justin was closest to the mark when he said Marxism as a movement is dead <http://pulpculture.org/MarxAfterMarxism.html>. That's not to say that Marx or a myriad of 20th century Marxists are now wholly irrelevant.

Of course by the measure of hammers and sickles on the horizon, the left doesn't exist and isn't likely to be reincarnated, although undead embarrassments like the WWP march on.

But the anti-war mobilization and the global justice movement, with their overlapping currents of anti-capitalism, are some kind of left. The form of their organization is certainly open to dispute, but their existence isn't.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!