[lbo-talk] Bring Them Home Now: Leaflets & Website

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Tue Jul 22 21:25:12 PDT 2003

The inimitable Nathan Newman writes:
>And the failure of the Left to have a program for bringing democracy and
>a voice to the people of Iraq (and Afghanistan and Kosovo and etc.) without
>use of those B-52s is why it lacks the moral authority to stop any of these
>wars.

Are you really saying that we didn't stop this war because we lack 'moral authority'? We lack actual authority, which means that various wonderful plans we might imagine to encourage democratic flowering in our own country and even in neighboring countries are dead letters. If anything, there's too much utopian imagining about how the U.S. could 'help' people in other countries and not enough discussion of how to put in place a government here that won't level said countries, and I don't mean elect Democrats.

Jenny Brown