[lbo-talk] Chomsky on ending occupation

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 23 05:45:54 PDT 2003

Since this is directed in the first instance at me, I want to say that I do not think that US troops should stay. Out now is a good slogan. But for the reasons that Yoshie has pointed out, there are important differences with Vietnam. Although no one could say what would emerge, because the Vietnamese had formed organizations capable of administering society, total chaos was unlikely. It seems clear that this is not true in Iraq. So it would be wrong, if we were tow ithdrwa, which we are not going to, to just withdraw without also making some provision for basic police and social services until the Iraqis can run these themselves. Obviously we should not be trying to provide these ourselves. The UN is the natural candidate for the job. It'[s not perfect, but what is? And the rest of the world (or the Iraqis) should not have to pay for the mess we made there. We should have to compensate the Iraqis in a no-strings sort of way. But if there is not a competent administration in place, any compensation we provided would simply be stolen by crooks. This is so obvious to me that I am finding it hard to see the objections you people are making. The steps are: (1) Contact UN/Arab League, give them a date they have to take over and a budget, and the same time as we (2) begin withdrawal. (3) Coordinate our withdrawal and their insertion, and (4) begin to pay the new administration compensation. (5) Complete withdrawal. What's the anti-imperialist objection? How do the "just out now, nothing else" crowd deal, in their stories, with the two problems of bad anarchy and the waste/theft of reparations? jks