Beating/Beaten by the system (Re: OFFLIST: Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Law Student With a History of)

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Wed Jul 23 15:14:07 PDT 2003

At 05:55 PM 7/23/03 -0400, JBrown72073 at cs.com scribbled:
>You seem to be implying that one individual shot all those
>people. We're
>talking about systems here, in which people take orders or
>don't. That's one
>good reason this focus on individual pathology is unhelpful. Bush has
>not shot
>anyone personally, and is acting rationally (from his own standpoint),
>but he's
>just as guilty of war crimes.

Which, of course, doesn't make the argument go away. :)

I also wonder, as an aside, if men really beat women because they rationally calculate that it'll make us mind. I think it's about control, sure, but more about trying to control their world in a way that they know how perhaps? In that sense, it's still about class power. When they have a bad day at work and take it out at home, it's because they can't take it out on the boss/co-workers that they perceive as making life miserable--and, of course, in that sense it's anger at a "system" that they don't have the vocabulary to describe particularly well.

kelley