[lbo-talk] Re: Law Student With a History of Taking Left Turns

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Jul 23 19:17:08 PDT 2003

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:32:39 -0400 Brian Siano <siano at mail.med.upenn.edu> writes:
> Jim Farmelant wrote:
>
> >The term evil is uselful for theologians, moral philosophers,
> >and metaphysicians but I fail to see its utility for social
> >scientists, behavioral scientists or scientific historians.
> >When people use it in historical analysis, the concept tends
> >to act as an obstacle to further inquiry. Thus, as has already
> >been pointed out when people label Stalin "evil" they tend
> >not to pursue any sort of a deeper causal analysis into the
> >phenomenon of Stalinism. Stalin killed lots of people because
> >he was "evil", and "evil" people tend to do that sort of thing,
> >no further analysis being required. This tends to support
> >a "great man" view of historuy (or perhaps in this case
> >an "evil man" view of history).
> >

> I've heard this argument before, and every time I hear it, it sounds
>
> more and more ridiculous.

I wonder if you find E.H. Carr's version of the argument ridiculous as well?

"The more serious ambiguity arises over the question of moral judgements on public actions. Belief in the duty of the historian to pronounce moral judgements on his dramatis personae has a long pedigree. But it was never more powerful than in nineteenth-century Britain, when it was reinforced both by the moralizing tendencies of the age and by the uninhabited cult of individualism. Roesbery remarked that what the English people wanted to know about Napoleon was whether he was a "good man." Acton in his correspondence with Creighton declared that the "inflexibility if the moral code is the secret of authority, the dignity, and the utility of History," and claimed to make history "an arbiter of controversy, a guide of the wanderer, the upholder of that moral standard which the powers of earth and of religion itself tend constantly to depress" - a view based on Acton's almost mystical belief in the objectivity and supremacy of historical facts which apparently requires and entitles the historian, in the name of History as a sort of superhistorical power to pass moral judgements on individuals participating in historical events. This attitude still sometimes reappears in unexpected forms. Professor Toynbee described Mussolini's invasion of Abyssinia in 1935 as a "deliberate personal sin"; and Sir Isaiah Berlin in the essay already quoted insists with great vehemence that it is the duty of the historian "to judge Charlemagne or Napoleon or Genghis Khan or Hitler or Stalin for their massacres." This view has been sufficiently castigated by Professor Knowles , who in his inaugural lecture quoted Motley's denunciation of Philip II ("if there are vices . . . from which he was exempt, it is because it is not permitted by human nature to attain perfection even in evil"), and Stubb's description of King John ("polluted with every crime that could disgrace a man"), as instanced of moral judgements on individuals which it is not within the competence of the historian to pronounce: "The historian is not a judge, still less a hanging judge." But Croce also has a fine passage on this point, which I would like to quote:

The accusation forgets the great difference that out

tribunals (whether juridical or moral) are present-day

tribunals designed for living, active, and dangerous

men, while those other men have already appeared

before the tribunal of their day, and cannot be condemned

or absolved twice. They cannot be held responsible before

any tribunal whatsoever, just because they are men

of the past who belong to the peace of the past and as

such can only be subjects of history, and can suffer no

other judgement than that which penetrates and

understands the spirit of their work . . . Those who

on the plea of narrating history bustle about as judges,

condemning here and giving absolution there, because

they think that this is the office of history . . . are

generally recognized as devoid of historical sense.

"And if anyone cavils at the statement that it is not our business to pass judgement on Hitler or Stalin - or, if you like, on Senator McCarthy - this is because they were the contemporaries of many of us, because hundreds of thousands of those who suffered directly or indirectly from their actions are still alive, and because, precisely for those reasons, it is difficult for us to approach them as historians and to divest ourselves of other capacities which might justify us in passing judgement on their deeds: this is one of the embarrassments - I would say, the principle embarrassment - of the contemporary historian. But what profit does anyone find today in denouncing the sins of Charlemagne or of Napoleon?"

A little later on, Carr does say that it is part of the historian's work to pass judgement on past social institutions so while the historian will not pass moral judgement on individual oriental despots, he will pass judgement on say the instutions of oriental depotism as compared to say the institutions of Periclean Athens.

Jim F.