[lbo-talk] Moral evaluatuon in historical explanation

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 23 20:58:04 PDT 2003

Two points: (1) the evil that men do lives after them -- but not forever. We still live in Stalin's shadow; his project is over, but many of his victims and some of his acolytes are still with us. It is not even possible, were it desirable for some purpose, to regard him with the detatchment we do Charlemagne. Future generations will look at Stalin that way, but that does not mean that it is either possible for us to do so or armirable to attempt to try.

(2) Much of the argument here about the impropriety of using moral categories in an explabatory way depends on a crude and unexamined positivism that treats moral talk as something like mere expression of pro or con attitudes that does not do any explanatory work. It is surprising to hear this from a vunch of self-styled Marxists, whose ideology teaches us to reject crude fact-value distinctions. I see no reason why moral talk should not be treated realistically and according explanatory status. From this point of view, Stalin's wickedness, that ism the qualities that made him wicked, are both explantory of his conduct and objects at the same time of moral evaluation, and explanatory in just the way that they are subject to evaluation. Thus his cruelty, domineering and deceptive nature explains a lot of his evil behavior, and it is hard to say that "cruelty" is a category that one could empty of moral evaluation. "OK, he was cruel, but that is neither good nor bad." Yeah, right.

Obviously I am not suggesting that we abandon materialist explanation in history. But what tue, such explanatiuon is not complete. ANd even such explanation is morally loaded, if we treat the category of exploitation as fundamental to it, as was done by a certain 19th century German emigre writer . . . .

jks

jks