[lbo-talk] "Orderly Withdrawal" (was Occupation & Chaos)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 23 21:06:18 PDT 2003

Yoshie, you are deliberately being obtuse. I already said, The UN or the Arab League are my chief candidates. I don';t care about "peace with honor" or US face, as you fucking know perfectly well, but if, in a parallel world, the US were to simplyly pull out without someone, like the UN or the AL or someone else, the EU, whoever, to administer basic police and social services, the result wouold be catastrophic.

--- Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:
> At Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:47:51 -0700 (PDT), andie
> nachgeborenen wrote:
> >3. AN INTERIM, MORE NEUTRAL ADMINISTRATION MUST BE
> CREATED TO
> >PROVIDE ESSENTIAL POLICE AND SOCIAL SERVICES BEFORE
> WITHDRAWAL IS
> >COMPLETE
>
> Let's avoid the passive voice. Make clear the agent
> who is to create
> the police and social services "before withdrawal is
> complete."
> Don't tell me "the United Nations," which conjures
> up in the mind of
> the reader a soothing image of the General Assembly
> of equal
> sovereign states. Within the existing structure of
> the UN, only the
> UN Security Council -- more specifically, the five
> permanent members
> with veto powers -- can make decisions like this.
> The US can veto
> any proposal that it dislikes in the US SC (and it
> has wielded most
> vetoes since the end of the Cold War).
>
> BTW, the demand #3 above cannot but evoke nightmares
> of "orderly
> withdrawal" and "peace with honor."
>
> At 1:05 PM -0700 7/23/03, andie nachgeborenen wrote:
> >The US not going to withdraw and it is not going to
> allow an honest
> >interim govt to be set up. It is as naiuve to think
> the fortmer as
> >the latter.
>
> Why bother calling for "an interim, more neutral
> administration," if
> you think it naive to imagine it to be possible
> anyways?

I think withdrawal is also a naive demand, it's not going to happen. But, as I have repeatedly stated, it serves an educative function here and raises the costs of next venture.

jks