OFFLIST: Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Law Student With a History of Taking Left Turns

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Thu Jul 24 10:27:40 PDT 2003

Probability? So the sample size is . . . what? Do we get to include all the postwar, Warsaw Pact leaders where nothing like that happened?

mbs

Say, rather, that the Bolshevik system of rule seems to generate an absurdly high probability that a murderous paranoid psychopath will gain absolute power and wreak fearful slaughter Pol Pot... Kim Il Sung... Mao... Stalin... Ceausescu.

I can't think of a system of rule that on average gave more power to worse people. There's something structural going on here. But I've never been able to satisfactorily explain what.

Brad DeLong