[lbo-talk] Stalin Again (Was Re: OFFLIST: )

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Jul 24 10:56:37 PDT 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Brian Siano wrote:

> Call me a deluded bourgeous, but something about freedom of travel,
> access to all kinds of luxury items, a much freer and open society,
> nicer clothes, computer networks, cheap books of an infinite variety
> makes the US of 2003 seem a lot nicer than the USSR of the 60s or 70s.

Something tells me you've got a job with health insurance. And your employer hasn't mismanaged your pension funds (yet). I agree that there are much more awful living conditions than typically exist in the U. S., but I think you should admit that it's pretty sad that a substantial proportion of the U. S. population--many of whom work full-time!--cannot afford basic needs like health care. Mix that with the rising jingoism (people are calling the FBI when they see "potential terrorists" reading anti-Bush/anti-war articles), and I don't think we should exactly puff out our chests with pride.

Miles