[lbo-talk] Bring Them Home Now: Leaflets & Website (from Stan Goff)

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Thu Jul 24 16:54:15 PDT 2003

Jim Farmelant wrote:
>As
>Carrol Cox likes to say, to speak of a left (or at least
>of an organized left) in the US is a bit ludicrous.
>Such a thing hasn't existed here for quite some time.

-So what are the following, chopped liver? The antiwar movement, the -global justice movement, the antisweatshop movement, the living wage -movement, thousands and thousands of anarchists and greens....

Irrelevant since they are not nominally led by a bearded man scribbling away in the British Museum.

Claiming there is no left is just one way to say that no real change is yet possible, so no real engagement in politics is possible, so purely symbolic action is justified so as to be a beacon to creating a "real left."

In my day-to-day life, there are real leftists struggling every day all across the country on a range of issues, all meeting and strategizing and planning. They may lack a central politboro, but if leftism equates with Leninism, may we never have a left again.

-- Nathan Newman