[lbo-talk] Stalin Again (Was Re: OFFLIST: )

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 25 01:00:41 PDT 2003

>From: Michael Pugliese <debsian at pacbell.net>

> Did not ban books? HEH. You slay me.

-- Are you calling Wojtek a liar?

---

> Roy Medvedev in Argumenty i fakty 5, 1989, estimates 40,000,000 peasant
>victims of the collectivization. Same figure in a Soviet textbook by Yuriy
>Korablev, Y. Borislov and others, , "Istoria SSSR, " Moscow 1989.

--- Medvedev is full of shit. Let's do the math: Let's assume a Soviet population of $200 million. Hitler killed 27 million. 27 million + 40 million = 67 million people. In other words, about a third of the population died during Stalin's reign.

Under Stalin, the population grew. No one denies this. Either Medvedev's figures are way off, the Hitler figure is way off, or Stalin has some kind of secret Soviet cloning program. You decide which option is most plausible.

How many times to I have to declare in black and white that Stalin was a mass murderer before you accept that I think he was a mass murderer? I believe I endorsed Justin's comparison of him to Tiberius, and compared him myself to Peter the Great, who, if you know anything whatsoever about Russian history, was also a mass murderer.

Is the idea that the same person can be the cause of great evil and great good at the same time too dialectical a notion for you to grasp?

Evil? You betcha. Is that the end of an analysis, or