[lbo-talk] FW: My Very, Very Allergic Reaction To Brad Delong On Chomsky (from ZNet)

Willy Greenfields filthydirtyunwashed at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 25 08:49:14 PDT 2003

> Cambodia under Pol Pot (where many of the
> deaths were residuals of the starvation conditions
facing the KR in
> April 1975).

This was a direct result of their policies - there was nothing natural about it. Though it had nothing to do with the Evil Collective Agriculture DeLong fulminates against, either. They were sending a ridiculou share of their rice yield to China for arms.

> DeLong never mentions that estimates of the numbers
killed by the
> U.S. Air Force in its bombing of Cambodia from 1969
to 1975 run into
> the hundreds of thousands

Why should he? After all, the U.S. was doing the heroic work of saving the Vietnamese from themselves. The VC had supply routes and enclaves there, dont you know, and if the Cambodians were unfortunate enough to, say, live in villages in eastern Cambodia (as they had since time immemorial) oblivious to the Good Deeds being done in the area, well, too bad.

Of course, the forces of good had their "enclaves," too. I'm sure somewhere there's an anti-DeLong who would have had no problem if a few hundred thousand Isaan farmers had to die in eradicting U.S. enclaves in Nakhorn Phanom and Udorn.