[lbo-talk] pinque blocque

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Fri Jul 25 12:36:26 PDT 2003

>THE PINK BLOQUE http://www.pinkbloque.org/sitemap.html
>
>The ladies of the Pink Bloque initially knew each
> other through involvement in the punk and
> independent music scene, or through organizing
> for Ladyfest Midwest Chicago. Some were actively
> involved in radical politics; others were interested
> in politics but had never been active; all of us were
> looking for a more creative way to enact our
> political beliefs. We found some of the radical left's
> '60s protest tactics and didactic rhetoric alienating
> - so we decided to make protests more fun and more
> visually engaging by using the sounds, images and
> lingo of contemporary corporate popular culture. At
> the time the anarchist black bloc was making news
> for its direct action tactics, thousands of protestors
> in pink took to the streets for the anti-corporate
> globalization protest in Prague. Inspired by this
> spectacle, we chose to adopt pink as our signature
> color. We thought: "We like pink, it's cute, and cute
> is appealing. . . How about a pink bloc? How about a
> cuter and more uni"que" spelling for branding
> potential?" - And the Pink Bloque was named.

Wow.

First the Baffler, now this. Is there something in Chicago's water? Can we bottle it?

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!