[lbo-talk] The mixed-up debate over the new European patriotism

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Fri Jul 25 20:53:13 PDT 2003

Quoting Grant Lee <grantlee at iinet.net.au>:

> Let's crash a couple of airliners into La Defense -- an apt name for a
> business district methinks -- and see what happens.

Europeans are, on the whole, much more sensitized to the horrors of war than Americans -- Germany in particular was saturated with monuments and museums dedicated to the horrors of Nazism, every week there would be historical articles on the Third Reich, etc.

> Just because the various European imperialisms have been eclipsed by the US

Eurocapital is the leading banker of the planetary economy -- not will be, not might be, *is*. We need to ask why this is so, and what it means for constructing alternatives to neoliberalism.

No, I'm not. In the EU right now, I see lots of healthy debate over what it means to be an EU citizen, some positive reforms in citizenship laws, and promising multicultural activism (e.g. http://www.arabeuropean.org/).

> What does it tell you when voters elect creeps from the
> Front National

What does it tell us when Le Pen gets resoundingly thrashed in the Presidential elections by a four-to-one ratio?

-- DRR