OFFLIST: Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Law Student With a History of Taking Left Turns

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 26 02:44:39 PDT 2003

>From: Brad DeLong <delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU>

>I still think that there was an opportunity in the mid-1960s for Khrushchev
>to try (and succeed!) in doing what Gorbachov tried (and failed!) to do in
>the mid-1980s--glasnost, perestroika, and a successful journey along the
>Chinese path to economic reform.

I think I agree. The big screw-up in the Soviet Union was Brezhnev, who slept his way through power. I think by the 1980s it was probably too late to do anything, to my deep, deep regret. The fall of the Soviet Union was just so awful...

_________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail