[lbo-talk] The mixed-up debate over the new European patriotism

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Sat Jul 26 10:37:41 PDT 2003

> Eurocapital is the leading banker of the planetary economy -- not will be,
not
> might be, *is*. We need to ask why this is so, and what it means for
> constructing alternatives to neoliberalism.

Whether you mean "alternatives" in a utopian sense or a Realpolitik sense they have long been constructed. I don't see what any of this has to do with the EU.

> No, I'm not. In the EU right now, I see lots of healthy debate over what
it
> means to be an EU citizen, some positive reforms in citizenship laws, and
> promising multicultural activism (e.g. http://www.arabeuropean.org/).

Believe it if you like.

> What does it tell us when Le Pen gets resoundingly thrashed in the
Presidential
> elections by a four-to-one ratio?

So the left told everyone to vote for Chirac. Some victory. The Nazis were also an electoral joke, until 1933.