[lbo-talk] Any Christians left in the U. S.?

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Mon Jul 28 11:42:42 PDT 2003

--- Chuck0 <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:
> Doug Henwood wrote:
> By the way, loved the trashing of the Anne Coulter
book in the Post yesterday. It's rare that Book World has me on the floor in laughter.

Chuck0

Washington Post Book World has an asst. editor now alumnus of The Baffler, Tom Vanderbilt, no?

Coulter has taken quite a rubbishing from cold war liberals like Harvey Klehr and writers in National Review and the Weekly Standard, http://www.frontpagemag.com/articles/Printable.asp?ID=9080

As for ignorence, I still get a chuckle over two anecdotes of my UCSC yrs. A brouhaha in the campus newspaper, City on a Hill, brought on by Hans Eicholz, the Young Republican cadre, writing a satire of campus leftists signing it as, "Rudyard Kipling, " getting letters afterwards demanding to know what college said Kipling was enrolled at so corrective measures could be taken. And a student in my class where we read two volumes of Wallerstein's MWS books, in one of the last sessions, where the sr. said, "What's this Cold War, y'all keep talking about? Berlin Wall?"

Laugh at the Xtians that have little grounding in their faith, sure, but, as one who strikes up conversations with strangers at left demos w/ goofy signs on such as contrails/chemtrails, http://santacruz.indymedia.org/feature/display/4967 who doesn't here, recognize that we have many on our side that are just as nutz.The folks that go to conferences and hand out leaflets that say Jonestown victims were really all shot by CIA agents.That Dick Cheney and Bush 41 are really MKULTRA Satanic Reptoids from Outer Space that shapeshift from human to reptile form to their Sex Slaves? (Mgr. of San Francisco Liberation Radio, hands out those leaflets.Cf. Cathy O'Brien autobio.)

And as for pathologizing rank and file conservatives as that UCB study does, not that the vast bulk of right-wingers I've ever spoken to, are say, scholars of Oakeshott and Strauss, but, the criticisms of the F scale of Adorno et. al. by Edward Shils, should be considered. And pathologizing the Left, by such as neo-con, Lewis Feuer, in, "The Conflict of Generations, " Basic Books, 1970, where the New Left (and the tripwire for WWI) is reduced to Oedipal conflict, was just as ridiculous as I think this UCB study is. Smug. Michael Pugliese