[lbo-talk] Rah Rah Ivy? (Go Bucks!)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 28 19:05:33 PDT 2003

--- > Decent? Madison is probably one of the top
> half-dozen state schools in the
> nation (Berkeley, UCLA, Austin, Ann Arbor, and
> Virginia are all of
> comparable quality).
>
> > Were the Columbia students any smarter? Not
> really.
>
> Other Ivy Leaguers have told me the same thing. I
> don't believe them.

It's true, though. I went to Princeton and Cambridge (UK) and Michigan and Ohio State. The Ivy League/Oxbridge types were no smarter, not only than the Mich. students, but than the Ohio State students. There was a higher concentration of brilliant undergrads at Tigertown, but probably an absolutely smaller number. For sheer raw unadorned intellectual power, though, you couldn't do better than the top ten students in my law school class at Ohio State. They'd eat Princeton/Cambridge/Michigan philosophy undergrads and grad students for lunch. Much nicer people, too.

jks