[lbo-talk] Rah Rah Ivy? (Go Bucks!)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 28 19:37:07 PDT 2003

--- For sheer raw unadorned
> intellectual
> > power, though, you couldn't do better than the top
> ten
> > students in my law school class at Ohio State.
> They'd
> > eat Princeton/Cambridge/Michigan philosophy
> undergrads
> > and grad students for lunch. Much nicer people,
> too.
> >
> > jks

> Mmmmmmm, nice people with an aggressive/adversarial
> streak..........Billy
> Shakespeare where r u.......
>
> Ian

Actually, philosophy students are far far far more aggressive and aversarial. Now, I heard stories about nasty competitiveness at other law schools, but I can only recall two incidents where I encountered it at OSU Law, both memorable because so unusual. However, we were talking about whether people are smarter at the Ivies, and I know from personal experience that they are not. The philosophy grad students at Princeton or Michigan at better than at Ohio State, but the Princeton ones are no better than the Michigan ones. ANd the Columbia law students are only on average better than the Ohio State ones: the top 20 on a class at either school are essentially equivalently smart. jks