[lbo-talk] winning the hearts and minds, bakers excepted

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Jul 29 08:55:56 PDT 2003

http://www.truthout.org/docs_03/072903B.shtml

Troops Turn Botched Saddam Raid Into A Massacre

By Robert Fisk

The Independent

Monday 28 July 2003

BAGHDAD - Obsessed with capturing Saddam Hussein,

American soldiers turned a botched raid on a house in the

Mansur district of Baghdad yesterday into a bloodbath,

opening fire on scores of Iraqi civilians in a crowded street

and killing up to 11, including two children, their mother

and crippled father. At least one civilian car caught fire,

cremating its occupants.

The vehicle carrying the two children and their mother and

father was riddled by bullets as it approached a razor-wired

checkpoint outside the house.

Amid the fury generated among the largely middle-class

residents of Mansur - by ghastly coincidence, the killings

were scarcely 40 metres from the houses in which 16

civilians died when the Americans tried to kill Saddam

towards the end of the war in April - whatever political

advantages were gained by the killing of Saddam's sons

have been squandered. A doctor at the Yarmouk hospital,

which received four of the dead, turned on me angrily last

night, shouting: "If an American came to my emergency

room, maybe I would kill him."

Two civilians, both believed to have been driving with

their families, were brought to the Yarmouk, one with

abdominal wounds and the other with "his brain outside

of his head", according to another doctor.

At the scene of the killings, there was pandemonium.

While US troops were loading the bullet-shattered cars

on trucks - and trying to stop cameramen filming the

carnage - crowds screamed abuse at them.

One American soldier a few feet from me climbed into

the seat of his Humvee, threw his helmet on the floor of

the vehicle and shouted: "Shit! Shit!"

There was no doubt about the target: the home of Sheikh

Rabia Mohamed Habib, a prominent tribal leader who had

met Saddam but who was not even in his house when the

Americans stormed it. One report says they killed a guard

as they entered.

"The Americans searched the house completely, very

roughly," Sheikh Habib said. "It seems they thought Saddam

Hussein was inside."

It appears the killings started as the troops were searching

the building and as motorists approached the barbed wire

which the soldiers had placed without warning across the

road. Witnesses said the first car contained at least two men.

"The second contained two children about 10, their mother

and their father who had been wounded in the Iran-Iraq war

- - he was a cripple," a local shopkeeper told me. "They all died.

The man's legs were cut in half by the bullets," he added. A

third car then approached the Americans, who opened fire

again. One of the occupants fled, but the other two remained

in the vehicle and were killed.

When another car arrived US troops riddled it with more

bullets and it burst into flames. It is believed that two people

were inside and both were burnt to death. "The Americans

didn't try to help the civilians they had shot, not once," a

witness said. "They let the car burn and left the bodies where

they lay, even the children. It was we who had to take them to

the hospitals."

Yet again, false informers, ill-trained American soldiers who

appeared to exercise no fire control and a lack of military

planning has created a tragedy among the people the Americans

claimed to be 'liberating' from Saddam Hussein only 15 weeks

ago. Last night, there were reports from the southern city of

Karbala that three men had been shot dead by American troops

during a demonstration.