[lbo-talk] Stalin Wanted John Wayne Axed

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Tue Jul 29 15:58:16 PDT 2003

My favourite story about the Duke (and I say "story" since I can't verify it) is this --- surreal blues-punk communists The Three Johns, on their cult hit single, "Death of the European" (1985, Abstract Records) included a repeated sampled voice, supposedly Wayne, saying "who am I working for this time?"

According to a contemporaneous interview with the band in the New Musical Express, the soundbite came from a TV talk show on which Wayne is asked which of his own movies he likes the best.....