[lbo-talk] creepy journal

Jacob Conrad jakub at att.net
Tue Jul 29 20:08:37 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 12:41 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] creepy journal

> Anyone know anything about a right-wing journal called The Occidental
> Quarterly? Reads like high-end intellectual racism. But it sounds a
> lot like some antiglobo activism - your average International Forum
> on Globalization partisan of "community" might half-agree with this
> conclusion from an article by Alain de Benoist:
>
> <http://theoccidentalquarterly.com/vol3no2/adb-democracya.html>
>
> "Therefore, to return to a Greek concept of democracy does not mean
> nurturing a shallow hope of 'face to face' social transparency.
> Rather, it means reappropriating, as well as adapting to the modern
> world, the concept of the people and community-concepts that have
> been eclipsed by two thousand years of egalitarianism, rationalism,
> and the exaltation of the rootless individual."

"Creepy" indeed. Two thousand friggin' years of "egalitarianism, rationalism, and the exaltation of the rootless individual!?" Things have clearly been going downhill for a very long time. But what, I wonder, caused the fall from grace? The supercession of the Roman Republic by the Empire? The rise of Christianity, with its "slave morality?" This nutbag is clearly no advocate of classical-Christian civilization a la T.S. Eliot. I can see how this is similar to some flavors of anti-globo and Greenery. Let's bag the back-to-the-golden-age concept all around.

Jacob Conrad