[lbo-talk] backlash?

Christian Gregory christian11 at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 30 10:02:33 PDT 2003

> Backlash on Gay Rights Decision
> My position against liberal judicial activism on the Court, including
> opposing last month's sodomy decision, dismays some progressives who think
> we should grab any win we can get.

People (including Scalia, in his nasty comments on this case) have been calling this descision "activism." What, exactly, is meant by this term in this context? Is it intervention in the state's laws? Declaring that the state had no interest in policing what happens in the private realm? I thought the ruling was made more on grounds of due process, in which case it doesn't seem at all like activism.

Christian