[lbo-talk] Elite Institutions/SATs

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Wed Jul 30 11:16:29 PDT 2003

I realize this point isn't really of general interest, but earlier you mentioned that the folks in the Honors Program at U-Michigan, which has an SAT cutoff, seemed smarter than the general student population. I went to Michigan, and was in the Honors Program the whole time, and this wasn't really my experience. I did find that classes limited to Honors students were *taught* at a higher level, and that those folks tended to be better educated (many had been to better high schools, or had been on AP tracks) and studied very hard. I was VERY glad to have access to those classes. But many -- I'd venture to say most -- of the "smartest" people I met at Michigan [by smart here I mean creative, capable of saying something surprising or otherwise interesting, engaged with ideas outside the classroom, in short people you want to stay up late getting high with] weren't in this program. In fact, the program, vs. the many different kind of intelligence in the larger student population, was kind of a test tube display of how SAT/ACT scores do measure some things, but not others.

Liza