[lbo-talk] creepy journal

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 30 11:34:00 PDT 2003

Orwell, who famously believed that it was not possible to be "both Catholic and grown-up," was a rather good example of the gibe that the residual religion of the England in the 20th century was anti-papalism. His notion that "Chesterton ... expresses in a simplified ... form, certain tendencies that exist in every Christian reformer" is remarkably narrow (although he does interestingly note Belloc's prescience). Here's a counter-example from a well-known late 20th century theologian (and a mentor to people as different as Terry Eagleton and the current Abp. of Canterbury):

"To speak with vast and misleading generality, there is in the world at the moment a conflict between the dispossessed and the rich ... It seems to me that the first thing a christian will want to say about his moral position is that he belongs with this revolution. I say 'belongs with it' rather than 'belongs to it' because the christian revolution goes in and through this kind of revolution to something deeper, to the ultimate alienation of man which is sin and ultimate transformation which is death and resurrection ... The christian, then, cannot identify his christianity with participation in the revolution though he can certainly point to the absurdity of a christian not participating..."

--Herbert McCabe OP, Law, Love and Language (1968), 164-170