[lbo-talk] wheelchair rag

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Wed Jul 30 12:33:09 PDT 2003

>I wouldn't even provisionally accept _that_ much for IQ. Remember,
>Binet developed the IQ test not as a measure of any innate quality,
>but to determine which students of his needed a bit of extra
>tutelage, and for which topics. It was the American eugenics
>movement that seized upon the use of these tests as a measure of a
>hypothetical "trait" of intelligence; they wanted to breed humans
>for a better society, but they needed a trait to breed _for_.

A challenge can be made to any test of "intelligence." I know people who are developmentally disabled who would not act in disregard for human life the way that Rumsfeld, Cheney, etc. have done. They certainly would not score higher than Rumsfeld or Cheney on ANY "intelligence" test. Then I know autistic people who would not support the degradation of the environment for profit either. So where is intelligence on any scale of measurement, really?

Marta

-- Marta Russell Los Angeles, CA http://www.martarussell.com/