Creepy religious talk (was: Re: [lbo-talk] creepy journal)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 30 16:29:49 PDT 2003

I don't see what's gained by calling atheists' beliefs [sic] religious, and I wasn't doing so. I was instead quoting the observation that practically all that's left of religion in English society is distrust of and hostility to Catholicism -- given that relations between the Roman church and English Christianity weren't particularly good for the last four and a half centuries. Orwell's remark (from an essay on his contemporary Evelyn Waugh) seemed to me an example of that.

I like your suggestion, though: my office door has a quote from Chomsky and one from the theologian whom I quoted in my last post. --CGE