[lbo-talk] Re: Creepy religious talk

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jul 30 20:33:41 PDT 2003

From: Gail Brock <gbrock_dca at yahoo.com> Subject: Re: Creepy religious talk (was: Re: [lbo-talk] creepy journal) To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Reply-To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org

--- budge <budge at el-pleasant.org> wrote: Can you imagine the uproar if I were to hang Chomsky's picture and some choice quotes on the wall?

________

Sounds like a great idea to me, except that your pious co-workers probably wouldn't recognize Chomsky either by picture or by name. Marx, now, that's worth considering.

Workers of the world, unite!

-- Gail

When I worked at Stanford Library, I had a bunch of photos cut out from the annual IWW calendar and elsewhere posted all over the fish-bowel windows of my office. Said office was situated at the entrance to the Media-Microtext section of Green Library and people were more or less funneled through that spot to get to the goodies. Over the years, I got a lot of postive comments on the pix and only a very few negatives. Once though, in the mid-90s a new conservative student newspaper was started (with financial help from the usual suspects) and the con-stus who ran it started a little campaign to get me to take my pix down. It was unsuccessful, even though my boss hinted that it would be nice, if I did removed them. Most people (workers/students and faculty--who I consider workers too) supported leaving them up. I think a lot of people got a vicarious kick out me tweaking the noses of the rich and powerful with these depictions of class struggle. Somewhere near George Sand, I put up a post-card photo of Karl which I had purchased while in Trier.

Hi-ho, Mike B)

===== ***************************************************************** "The sheep feels best, safest, and happiest in the flock, where it has nothing else to do but graze, grow wool, and give birth to lambs. Once the new office workers had reached that stage, when their intellectual capacity and their ambition had become like those of sheep in a flock, that was when they had begun to be useful and reliable pillars of the Company they worked for and which paid them their salary."

from B. Traven's TROZAS

http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal