[lbo-talk] Kill all the lawyers

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Thu Jul 31 11:45:25 PDT 2003

:

. The legal system functions because lawyers
>show up for cases and defendents don't (at least in small claims
>court).
>
>Chuck0

Marta then said: In California lawyers aren't allowed in Small Claims court. ^^^^ Charles: Michigan too ^^^^^ We lost a case for our condo assn against a former management company that was corrupt to the hilt because the JUDGE was partial to the management company. We needed a good lawyer to defend us against a bad judge.

Judges can run over citizens who does not know how to legally stop them. At least lawyers hold judges to some accountability. ^^^^^^ CB: Lawyers can appeal trial court judges' decisions more effectively than pro se parties. Lawyers are more likely to know all the rules of procedure and law, some piquiune or semi-arbitrary, that a lay person almost by definition is unaware of. Although, there is some evidence that some judges take out their anger with poor peoples' lawyers on the clients. In general, of course, the law favors those with more money , owners of private property, owners of more property over owners of less property, etc. ^^^^ Our case involved a handyman who the old (fired) management company hired to stop leaks in our 20+ year old roof by putting rocks on the roof! We suspect kickbacks and all sorts of wrongdoing, maybe even from our former board as well. That is hard to prove, however. What we wanted was to show the handyman solution wasn't a solution. The rocks cost the HOA $2,100 and did not work of course. We recouped nothing. JUDGES are just as corrupt if not more so.

Marta ^^^^^^^ CB: Well, judges _are_ lawyers, don't forget. --