[lbo-talk] Varian defends terror futures

Willy Greenfields filthydirtyunwashed at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 31 13:03:51 PDT 2003

> Wouldn't you have rather had CIA analysts betting
> small sums setting
> publicly-available odds that Iraq had tried to buy
> uranium from
> Niger, rather than having Cheney announce that it
> was definitely true?

Yes, except the bulk of this crapola originated not with the CIA, FBI and 'legitimate' intelligence services, but with Chalabi, the Office of Special Plans, Judith Miller, various AEI affiliates, etc.

In the run up to this, we saw how many State Dept staffers resign? Rand Beers walked away. The CIA grumbled nonstop. This wasn't an "intelligence failure" at all, so what is your point?