[lbo-talk] MN: Repugs beginning to worry Iraq will be bad (alarmism)

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 1 18:17:15 PDT 2003

>Doug wrote:

>It may be a bad idea to use that phrase ["...body
>bags return to the US"]. It could happen, but it
>could well not, at least in quantity, so you run a
>high risk of looking like the cliched alarmist.

True enough.

In fact, I believe the trouble now afoot will be a slow burn (though there will be weekly casualties). It will take time for this karma to ripen and predicting heavy US casualities in the short term will appear like hyperbole I'm sure. And, to return to the Vietnam analogy, despite the serious daily death toll of US personnel, it still took a decade for that blood bath to end. So there may be a high tolerance for long distance death here.

Even so, the deployment of hundreds of thousands of US troops across the globe in 'hot areas' of varying intensity, for reasons that will seem curiouser and curiouser to the soldiers, their families, friends and supporters as time wears on, will have a powerfully limiting effect, I believe, on enthusiasm for the entire project. Both amongst capitalists (who will see diminishing benefit as terror/resistance makes the smooth exploitation of seized assets difficult) and our Fox News watching neighbors.

I'm thinking now of the globalization of the occupied territories and Northern Ireland situations with US troops in the starring, IDF/Royal Army roles.

Some things are just easy to predict: a marriage formed by an abusive man and an exploited woman will never be happy. It's not unusual for such terrible unions to end when the woman pulls the trigger. The shotgun marriages Bushco is arranging have a similar trajectory.

D.