[lbo-talk] Re: Nemotrix

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Sun Jun 1 20:34:55 PDT 2003

That said, I must comment on the crowd, most of whom brought very young kids who got bored after 10 mins and went off for the next 88. There's a cultural emphasis on kids being plugged into the mass media as early as possible, and it seems that many parents buy into this with little question. They see another Disney product on the shelf and they must have their children consume it immediately, 'else they're bad parents. It's robotic and automatic, the ultimate self-sacrifice to power. DP

Here is a funny story about kids and movies. After I was divorced, I used to drag my son around with me, where ever I wanted to go, which included movies I wanted to see. I figured fuck it, he'll deal with it.

We went to see Alien and my son who was eight at the time, turned around in the theater seat, pointed his butt to the screen and buried his face in pure terror.

About a year later, we went to see Bergman's Scenes from a Marriage. He sat on the edge of his seat completely engrossed.

Unfortunately, I am afraid his reactions at thirty would be exactly the reverse.

Chuck Grimes