[lbo-talk] RE: public housing (was: decentralization, Whole Foods style)

Hilary Russ hilarious4 at msn.com
Mon Jun 2 08:03:49 PDT 2003

Well I think you've found the common ground in this thread. The problem with gentrification is that it is economic development that displaces the poor people that developers say it's supposed to help. But if you can foster economic delevlopment and improvement of housing and services _without_ doing that, you've won. No one, not even urban planners, think those high-rise housing projects are a good idea anymore. The trend has been for mixed income, low-density housing, as well as mixed use (commercial and residential) and mixed size (large and small businesses). These kinds of projects, especially when they seek out community input first, usually go over well.

-Hilary

> Thanks for the story. However, the situation is abit diffeent in the
Baltimore neighborhood where I live. This is a racially diverse and well integrated community, mostly cooperatives condominiums, and townhouses - low to moderate income. We have several housing projects -some are being closed new are being built. The community association is very active, especially in new development issues. Although I sense a fair amount of NIMBY behavior and prejudice against institutional development among the residents, these are certainly not the defining trends. Our residents have been opposing certain development proposals and supporting others. There is certainly support for "upscale" (middle-class by non-Baltimore standards) housing development - mainly for the consideration for property values, but there was also support for half-way homes for subtance abuse patinets and housing projects.

In essence, our residents tend to oppose 'ghetto-like' developments i.e. projects that are enclaves not well integrated into the community or commercial/institutional development that attract people who are otherwise not attached to the community. That may include outpatient drug treatment programs or homeless shelter but also a wealthy church or a chain retail outlet. OTOH, our residents supported development of new Hope VI project after our community association won concessions from the developers that the project will be integrated into the community, both architecturally and socially, and two drug recovery centers that are integrated into the community.