[lbo-talk] Re: consensus-direct-representative democracy etc

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Mon Jun 2 10:46:26 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Quenby Alclaire" <flagrant_sake at yahoo.com>
>Should a woman's right to choose depend on
> convincing every last anti-choice fananatic? Or are we do assume that
> consensus will be adapted by groups so perfectly enlightened that no
> internal radical change will be required?

-but that sort of thing goes both ways....obviously not all radical changes -are desirable.

But consensus makes them impossible, even when large majorities are in favor of them. Economic redistribution is largely impossible, since anyone losing out will block consensus. It preserves all political and financial privilege from the past through blocking change.

On principle, I'm in favor of coercive majoritarianism, since it allows redistribution of privilege.

-- Nathan Newman