[lbo-talk] Ignorance in action (was democrats in action)

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Mon Jun 2 14:01:40 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "R" <rhisiart at charter.net> -on a day like today, when the FCC has made US media about as monopolistic as -anything can get, it's good to take a long look at who appointed Chairman -Powell to the FCC board in the first place. we all know who made him -chairman, but let's take a long look at who put the incompetent, uncaring -powell on the board where shrub could easily promote him. -Mr. Powell, a Republican, was nominated by President William J. Clinton on -July 31, 1997, and confirmed by the United States Senate on October 28, -1997.

I really just wish people would learn elementary information about how government operates before they post ignorant attacks like this.

Like many independent commissions, the FCC requires that there be a balance between Democrats and Republicans on the commission. (Note that today's deregulation decision was opposed by the two Democratic appointees). Powell was appointed to fill one of the GOP slots, recommended by John McCain who headed the Senate Commerce Committee. Presidents usually defer to the opposition party on who they want in such slots, and Powell had no particular ideological record at that point to pick a war over in turning down McCain's pick.

This is why I just can't take the anti-Dem arguments seriously at this point. They are so intermixed with complete false information about how government actually functions.

-- Nathan Newman