[lbo-talk] Ignorance in action (was democrats in action)

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Mon Jun 2 14:39:42 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "andie nachgeborenen" <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com>
>There is nothing in this that shows particular
>ignorance of the way the govt works, and Nathan
>concedes the key point, that the Prez usually defers
>to the wishes of the opposition party here, so Clinton
>was responsible at least for not blocking Powell. The
>only issue is whether Powell hada track record thats
>should have alerted Clinton that something was up. jks

Of course the post showed ignorance of how government works. To ignore that Powell was a GOP pick for the FCC is either ignorant or disingenuous. Blocking the choice of the opposition party Senate Commerce Committee chairman to the FCC is essentially a declaration of political warfare. It would have meant with a Senate controlled by Republicans that every single one of Clinton's appointees would have been blocked. Especially since the Dems had a majority on the FCC, such a move to block a GOP nominee who could not control policy would have been an insanely stupid thing to do.

The fact is that Powell's views only mattered once Bush won election and got to appoint the swing vote, giving Powell a third and deciding vote to enact policy.

-- Nathan Newman