[lbo-talk] Reform and annihilation

DoreneFC at aol.com DoreneFC at aol.com
Tue Jun 3 06:00:47 PDT 2003

Ummmmmm

Female circumcision is a nice imflammatory example, but careful:

--Usually that is a cultural norm that WOMEN enforce, Removing a kid will do NOTHING about her culture's expectation that the measure will make her more marriageable for instance.

--Around here, there are fairly large populations of East African immigrants. It is known that a small number of doctors deal with the cultural demand by doing VERY minimal symbolic cutting with sterile equipment and local anesthetic.

And child abuse authorities know to ask, when a kid shows up with black and blue stripes all along his limbs, do his parents practic "coining," running a coin along the skin really hard for medicinal purposes? One person I know who had this done to her as a child says it actually feels REALLY good even though the results look awful to outsiders.

But just so you don't worry that this is a land of total cultural relativism, people are still pretty uneasy about a different immigrant population that is into arranged marriages involving young teenages and much older men.

DoreneC